Friday, September 17, 2004

Question for our peeps...

okay. we've been discussing something here and i want to hear from as many of our peeps as possible on the issue. on a nightly basis, considering we are now open 7 nights a week, how much live music is too much? how much is too little? we currently have live music on wed, fri and sat nights. we could theoretically book every night with live music if we wanted to. there are so many artists in lubbock looking for opportunities to play, and most of them are pretty talented. we do, however, desire to have some nights without live music thinking that the lack of stage volume and distraction is more conducive to our studying crowd. another option is for instrumental bands like Bluesette Merci who play blues & jazz on wed night to be added to - say - sunday nights and play sort of a background vibe but it's still cool because it's live...? do you guys appreciate a few nights of peace & quiet (heh) or would you rather appreciate a place in town that features live music three, four or five nights a week (rarely with a cover i might add).
Speak up!

Listener Supported
sugar brown's

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found that the live music has been a little too loud for comfort on Friday nights. Since my friends and I go out for coffee on Fridays, all I can comment on is the Friday stuff. If you could get the volume down, I'm sure that we would stop by more often.

TTFN

PS: I love your cold coffee! :)

6:54 PM  
Blogger Allen said...

Music adds a sweet element to that coffee house, although most nights i tend to prefer quiet over music. I can easily recall several times i've gone to just hang out and talk with friends and had some difficulty because of music. I like the music, just would be nice to have it on just fri and sat.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

- i like the weekend stuff for sure. if you do away with that, then there is no outlet for artists in lubbock to express themselves. sugar brown's is most definately the singer/songwriter favorite. i guess i am kind of biased. blues and jazz nights are cool for the vibe that it brings. three nights a week is perfect i think. i guess it doesn't really matter what i say...i just moved to salt lake city.

from idaho,
josh rosenthal

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say to keep the music on the weekends. I enjoy the music on the weekends but not during the week or should I say not every day during the week. You need some peace and quiet to study.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like music on the weekends, se yevo me polla gavilian pollero.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really think studying should be an excuse for the people that come in at night, unless they are sporting the serious-study headphones. Pretty much all anyone does at night in sugar brown's is drink some good coffee, talk, and/or listen to some good music. That being said, I feel like the main issue is the amount of people that come to the concerts. Since they are so great, a million people come, and it makes some people (like me) nervous to be crammed in big crowds for long periods of time. Adding concerts during the week, although maybe occassionally fun, would generally frustrate the chill-with-your-friends atmosphere.
sorry it was long,
molly
p.s.- who is playing friday?

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When is Megan H. going to play again?

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good blend of musak and quiet nights. I like it. I love it. I want some more of it. I try, so h... j/k.

But for real, Wed night along with music on the weekends is nice. Although, if you had some other room, patio, or rooftop... I would say have music every night assuming there are enough artists to cover that without it getting routine/stale. Keep up the good work.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Michael D. said...

I think Blues and Jazz would be fantastic for a live set, and especially because we don't have a whole lot of live Jazz here in Lubbock. It is exactly the kind of music for the coffeehouse setting too. Bring it on!

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home